How to Decorate & Style a Coffee Table Guide
Ah, coffee tables. They’re not just a perfect spot to place your morning cup of joe—although, of course, it’s what they’re named for—but they’re also a fantastic opportunity to add more of your unique decorative flair to a room.
After all, coffee tables can be way more than just a convenient place to set magazines or the TV remote. Whether you see your coffee table as a blank slate just waiting to be styled or you need some help getting rid of the clutter, our coffee table style guide is here to help.
Read on to discover how to decorate a coffee table in a way that’s tailored just for you.
Coffee Table Décor For Your Personal Interests
Your coffee table is another opportunity to integrate your style into your house. By styling it with one-of-a-kind trinkets, the coffee table transcends just coffee. It’s a part of your home.
Here are some things perfect for exhibiting on your coffee table:
- Photo albums
- Favorite books
- Fresh (or fake!) flowers
- Succulents (if you’re not quite ready for a high-maintenance plant but you’re ready to take next step up from fake flowers)
The sky’s the limit with what you can display on your coffee table. Of course, that doesn’t mean you should necessarily style yours with every single knick-knack you own! You still want a place for your coffee mug, remember?
That brings us to our next tip.
Style with Intention
Styling a coffee table doesn’t mean inviting clutter back into your home. There are many ways to organize coffee table decorations so that you show off your flair without getting messy.
- Use containers to provide storage space and add visual interest
- Try just styling with one stunning coffee table centerpiece
- Choose a “theme” and tell a story with it; decorate with fresh flowers and gardening books, or style with photo albums and mementos from trips
If you have a smaller coffee table, you might benefit from a singular statement piece. However, if you have a big table, you could decorate with a theme and store miscellaneous items in charming containers
Think Carefully about Placement and Coordination
Once you’ve chosen coffee table decorations, it’s time to think about how they will all work together. Thoughtful presentation will mean that your coffee table will look clean, cohesive, and styled.
- Want to provide some depth? Use a coffee table tray to layer your objects and add a sense of dimension. Varying object heights will also add visual interest.
- As for color scheme, you can try going one of several routes. If you’re all about simplicity, test out a monochromatic theme. A collection of a succulent, a green candle, and a few stacked books in varying shades of green can look crisp and classic.
- If you like more color in your life, try either a complementary or contrasting color scheme.
Unlike other decorating choices, styling your coffee table isn’t as costly, difficult, or permanent. If you decorate with fake flowers, candles, and an eclectic collection of coins from around the world this month, you can easily switch it up next month.
If you’re looking for the perfect new coffee table to start styling, check out our collection of rustic and industrial coffee tables.